Saturday, January 14, 2012

Loved Before You Were Born

In attempting to describe unconditional love I often refer to the love of a parent. If you are a parent you'll get this. When does a parent first love the child? When it's born?  When it becomes viable in the womb? When it was conceived?  Most parents tell me that they loved their child even before conception. They loved the child even when it was a hope or a dream in their mind.


I can  tell you when you didn't first love your child. It wasn't when they performed well for you! Some parents might wait a lifetime for that!  Think of the first year...lots of diapers and late night feedings. Not much performance to get excited about there. Or think as they grow...all of those household chores and lawnmowings that they never did or did well. Imagine a parent that withheld their love waiting for their child to reach a certain level of achievement (unfortunately, they exist but I think you know what  I'm saying). 


If we, as humans, can offer unconditonal love for our children...how much more can God?  The Bible tells us this...


Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son. Ephesians 1:4-6, The Message

The heart of overcoming our shame lies in understanding that we are loved by God apart from what we do. Period. No "but's" or "what about's". When you can embrace that truth in your innermost being then the pain of your shame will begin to melt away.


Note: I'm switching my blogsite to a new host. Please visit readingremy.com and subscribe!



1 comment:

  1. How cool is this! I have a website/blog about recovery from my past hurts also. I have been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I also have PTSD and some other diagnoses. The website/blog takes a Christian view in how I am recovering. I have written a book (unpublished right now). I would love to read your book!

    ReplyDelete